Plaza de Armas
San Antonio, TX
Ford, Powell & Carson
Built in phases between 1880 and 1892, the four buildings now known as the Plaza de Armas have been carefully renovated and repurposed. The 59,000 sq. ft., two-story, wood and load-bearing masonry structure is a Registered Texas Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The $12.9-million rehabilitation was completed in 21 months. It highlights many exposed ceiling joists and masonry walls. The joists in the 16-ft. ceilings were made from longleaf pine and portions of that wood was salvaged from other sections of the building to repair original wood floors. At the opening ceremony, San Antonio’s mayor at the time, Ivy Taylor, commented, “Plaza de Armas has undergone a drastic transformation to become a welcoming space where people will be inspired to create.”